Something Old, Something New, Something Bought, Something Blue

A story of a work that's old, made new for a child, revisited by another. 

These pictures were taken almost 2 years ago. This was the first time Bug demonstrated mastery of numbers and counters. 



Fast forward to this past week, new materials since then (the sandpaper numerals) and new child (Buddy Boy), work that's old (numbers and counters), and something blue - these nice $1 gems from the Dollar Store - the same in both the pictures above and below. 

Here is Buddy Boy and his first presentation with numbers and counters.




We are still working on visual recognition of the numbers, but I added this work in because I knew he would enjoy it, and that the visual representation would further aid him in seeing the difference. Without the  gems, 5 and 8 mine as well be the same - both have a circular motion in them, so seeing the gems helped. 

He did fairly well with this work. I was with him the entire time, as he is far from mastery still. 
After he was finished, Bug decided she wanted to do it again, Per her request, I caught some on video and thought I'd share. After the layout, I 'tested' her (though she didn't know to take it that way) to see if she remember the rule of even/odd. 






As soon as I stopped recording, she turned to me and announced that she noticed that every other number was even/odd. I think this may have been the first time she has noticed that - she knew the rule, but didn't put two and two together to see that it was a pattern in the numbers. 

So a work was both new and revisited, and I loved being right in the middle of it all, both observing and guiding! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Succeed One Must Never Give Up

Reader's Review - Llama Llama, Red Pajama

Homeschool tidbits